http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/asset/prcc12_vid_mctprob1/ As you watch the video, focus on how life has changed for the islanders and the land itself.
- What are some specific examples from the video that suggest ecosystems and the islanders’ way of life are changing?
- What is a biodiversity hotspot? How does Micronesia meet the criteria for a biodiversity hotspot?
- What are some of the causes for the loss of biodiversity in Micronesia? Describe at least one of the endemic species (either plant or animal) that is under threat due to habitat loss or degradation.
- Why are so many deer populating the eastern forests? How did regulatory laws, human activity and ecosystem changes cause the deer population to increase over time?
- How are the local communities being affected by the deer population?
- What are some possible solutions to the overpopulation of deer in the eastern forests? How could you monitor your proposed solutions in order to ensure success?