As you watch the video, focus on how life has changed for the islanders and the land itself.
- What are some specific examples from the video that suggest ecosystems and the islanders’ way of life are changing?
- What is a biodiversity hotspot? How does Micronesia meet the criteria for a biodiversity hotspot?
- What are some of the causes for the loss of biodiversity in Micronesia? Describe at least one of the endemic species (either plant or animal) that is under threat due to habitat loss or degradation.
PART TWO (1 PAGE WITH REFFERENCE )
Population growth and distribution have significant roles to play in the sustainability of the world’s vast resources. Several studies have indicated that uncontrolled growth of deer populations lead to negative ecological consequences, including decreased biodiversity. The result of the deer overpopulation in many areas has led to radical alterations of shrub architecture, contributing to increased habitat loss for some important species.
Many people have varying opinions on the best way to approach the issue. Watch the following video about the deer overpopulation in Wayne County, PA (from 2015). http://wnep.com/2015/01/06/controversial-plan-to-manage-deer-population/
Also, read the following article: Pursell, A., Weldy, T. & White, M. (2013). Too Many Deer: A Bigger Threat to Eastern Forests than Climate Change? Cool Green Science. Accessed at http://blog.nature.org/science/2013/08/22/too-many-deer/
on August 16, 2016.
- Why are so many deer populating the eastern forests? How did regulatory laws, human activity and ecosystem changes cause the deer population to increase over time?
- How are the local communities being affected by the deer population?
- What are some possible solutions to the overpopulation of deer in the eastern forests? How could you monitor your proposed solutions in order to ensure success?
"Our Prices Start at $11.99. As Our First Client, Use Coupon Code GET15 to claim 15% Discount This Month!!"