Answer the following questions below using at least 125 words each. Please answer the questions in your own words.
1. This learning activity begins with a knowledge of the course material in Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, and Magid (2015, ch. 15) and a supposition; i.e., suppose it has been two years since your graduation. During the time you have worked for a large energy company. In your work, you have been exposed to the numerous ways your employer is investing in energy. These sources include oil, coal, natural gas, solar, wind, nuclear, and electrical plants.
Just last month, you were told you were being transferred to the CEO’s office. Your first assignment is to work with the general counsel’s staff to determine how your company is regulated and how all divisions are complying with the various, relevant laws and regulations. As you ponder this assignment, you ask yourself the following questions:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Is this company regulated only by the federal government, or are state and local regulations relevant?
How does the company and its divisions keep track of laws and regulations?
If an administrative agency begins an investigation of your company, should your company cooperate with or fight the agency’s action?
2. You and a former classmate started a computer software company five years ago. Originally, the two of you were the owners and only employees. The foundation of your company was your combined expertise in creating custom-designed applications addressing the human resource needs of your clients. As your company grew, you added programmers that now allow your business to provide a greater array of computer applications. You and your co-owner decide to raise capital by making a public offering of stock. In preparation for going public, you visit with several of your most valuable clients about investing in your company.
- What concerns should you have regarding these conversations?
- Is there anything about your expectations of the company’s future performance you must or must not share? (Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, & Magid, 2015, p. 544)
3. Based on your reading of chapter 19 of Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, and Magid (2015), what problem does the Kyoto Protocol address and what conclusions were reached?
4. International Paint Company wants to sell a large tract of land with several facilities on it to U.S. Parts Inc. As acquisitions manager for U.S. Parts, what do you need to know before buying this land, other than that International Paint has good ownership, that your company needs the site, and that the price is right?
Why might you need to know the environmental condition of the land? What steps might you want to take before buying the land? (Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, & Magid, 2015, p. 544)
5. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act provides protections for whistleblowers so that individuals are more willing to report the corruption that can lead to major scandals (Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, & Magid, 2015). Why are audit committees required to adopt procedures that ensure whistleblowers’ reports are taken seriously?
6. In the wake of the recent shootings in Las Vegas, what is your opinion of the fact that each time we have such disasters, the talk turns to gun control? Should we look at Australia whose murder rate was reduced after it passed its gun control law in 1996 precipitated by the Port Arthur Massacre that banned certain semi-automatic, self-loading rifles and shotguns, and imposed stricter licensing and registration requirements? It was amended in 2002 restricting the caliber, barrel length and capacity for sport shooting handguns (Kiely, 2017).
Consider the recent explosion at the Arkema Plant that was allegedly the result of Hurricane Harvey’s fury. Lawsuits are being filed; one of which is the first responders lawsuit described at the following link: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/09/first-responders-file-suit-against-exploding-houston-chemical-plant/539154/ A second lawsuit has been filed as a class action. See the following link that discusses the second lawsuit and why it was filed: www.khou.com/news/local/crosby-residents-file-second-lawsuit-against-arkema-following-crosby-plant-explosion/480592060
What are some of the actions the company should have taken to avoid what occurred? What are some possible EPA or OSHA violations?
8. After watching the video, “Compliance and Sustainability”, discuss the effect of environmental laws on today’s business environment (Bennell, 2016).