Prior to answering the following questions make sure you read WEEK 5 Overview and Learning Resources. Also, you are expected to research outside sources from the course Webliography (under Content) and the Internet. Answers must be in APA-style paragraph form with proper APA citations. Graphics may be used to support your answers, but make sure you cite your source below the graphic.
1) Sketch or diagram “your interpretation” of the “Hydrologic Cycle”. What is the ultimate energy source for the water cycle to function on Earth? Label the major processes of the water cycle concept in the hydrosphere, atmosphere, biosphere, and geosphere. Use arrows to show the progression of water (H2O) through the cycle.
2) Define and describe the following geologic surface water terms and make sure you give a geologic location example for each term:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
· drainage basin (watershed)
· drainage divide and continental divide
· stream erosion features: water falls, canyon (gorge), and V-shaped valley
· stream deposition features: stream load, alluvial material (alluvium), flood plain, and river delta.
3) Define “groundwater” and discuss its origin and role in the hydrologic cycle. Then define and describe the following groundwater terms:
· porosity vs. permeability
· saturated vs. unsaturated zones (also called zone of saturation and zone of aeration)
· water table
· aquifer (describe one in detail)
4) Visit the Virtual Caves website and then describe the geological formation of caves and caverns, with an example of each of the following cave types:
· solution caves
· sea caves
· erosional caves
· lava tube caves
5) View the video at Karst Topography: A Unique and Fragile Environment then discuss in a few paragraphs karst geology, including the origin of the term “karst”, the cave-forming rock types present, and the major karst surface and subsurface features. What is the major geologic hazard associated with karst regions? Choose one karst and/or cavern location in the USA (or other country) and discuss and describe the area, any unique subsurface life, and the human threats to this fragile environment.
RjS Revised 01.02.19